Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Lizard

I belong to a group called Altered Minds, an inspiring group of artistic women who meet once a month and do fiber arts and everything else you or they can imagine. Each month there is a project that someone in the group teaches. This time it was a lizard made of fabric around a florist's wire armature. We had a "Lizard Gathering" at the meeting today. Here was my contribution:

First, I made the armature out of the wire. Then I covered it with strips of the upholstery samples I had from the furniture in my living room. I secured the strips with black thread. The feet are made out of beads I had from a friendship bracelet project I'd done a few years ago. They are tied on with hemp string.



Then I put a head on it and wrapped the whole thing with some gold thread I pulled out of some drapery trim I had from a photo shoot. The eyes are small shell beads. I think they look like iguana's eyes darting in different directions.



Finally, I tied on some gold at the end of the tail and sewed on a scrap of red ribbon for the mouth.



There were over 30 lizards at the gathering of all sizes and decor. One even had three heads. A frog and scorpion crashed the party as well. The Altered Minds will soon have a blog, so I will point you there once that is up. There you'll be able to see the gathering in its entirety, along with the artists themselves.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At March 16, 2010 at 4:37 PM , Anonymous Ann said...

wow, he really look like he's ready to scurry along - quite a lifelike position!

 
At July 24, 2011 at 8:48 AM , Blogger Art by Virginia Erdie said...

I like this lizard!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home